“The artist who makes bzzzzzzzz!” – Palace Costes, December 14
Michaël Cailloux has been passionate about drawing since childhood and could never stop sketching and doodling everywhere he went. He graduated from the renowned École Duperré School of Design in Paris in 1998 with a dissertation dedicated entirely to the 18th century fly.
In 1999, Michaël Cailloux launched the company Atelier LZC that created unique commission pieces for prestigious brands such as Baccarat, Cartier, Habitat, Van Cleef & Arpels and S.T. Dupont. In 2009, the artist began exploring new creative fields and expanded his skill set by training in jewelery making and etching.
And thus was born his concept of misappropriation straight out of his imagination, creating meticulously sculpted and engraved copper wall jewelry, along with their etchings.
The fly, a symbol of both life and death with references to still life paintings of the 18th century, became his signature. His work won a prestigious Gravix award in 2015 and was featured in the book “Encore! The New Artisans” published by Thames & Hudson the same year.
At the same time, Michaël Cailloux also pursues his passion for textile arts using early drawings made for his etchings to create new limited edition items: scarves, wall Decors and stationery art. He is also the co-author of the reference book “Textile Design” published in 2013 by Editions Eyrolles.
Michaël Cailloux is doing more and more collaborations and creates made to measure collections. For instance, he decorated the Madeleine Gallery with his wall Decors for the Lucas Carton restaurant (Paris, 8th arrondissement). In 2016, he was part of the very first “ Dior Home” collection with an entirely hand drawn set of playing cards in homage to Christian Dior, with signed and numbered art notebooks.
In 2017, he stood out with the publishing of Merveilleuse Nature by Editions Thierry Magnier, a meticulously crafted book and a true work of art in its own right, recommended by the contemporary art magazine L’œil. He also partnered with Vis-à-Vis and The Invisible Collection to present his first printed and hand embroidered bed linen collection in London.
In 2018, Michaël Cailloux presented “Cadavre Exquis”, his first solo exhibition in Japan (Tokyo) organized by Gallery Irène. He designed a Christmas yule log cake and an epiphanie cake in 2019 for Maison Lenôtre.
In 2019, Michael Cailloux continued his collaboration with Maison Lenôtre and designed collections for Valentine’s Day and Easter. He also signs the visual identity of the event « Rendez-vous in the gardens » (« Rendez-vous aux Jardins ») for the Ministry of Culture under the theme of animals in the garden and biodiversity.
A refined body of work, highlighted in numerous magazines like Elle Decoration, Palace Costes, Vivre Côté Paris, Le Figaro…
- Exhibition, « Merveilleuse Nature », « Les Originaux-Acte Sud Gallery», 35 rue Saint-André des Arts, 75006 Paris
- Exhibition« Merveilleuse Nature », Nathalie Béreau Gallery, Chinon
- Book « Merveilleuse Nature » Thierry Magnier Editions
- Exhibition, « Constellation » with The Invisible Collection and Vis-à-Vis, 6-7 Motcomb street, Belgravia, London
- Exhibition, Art & Design, « Irène Gallery », Château Harajuku 202, 2-34-20, Shibuya-ku, 150-0001 Tokyo
- Exhibition, «Etchings », Nathalie Béreau Gallery, Chinon
- Exhibition, « Etchings & Wallpapers », Mandragore – 59 Cours Pasteur, 33 000 Bordeaux
- Exhibition, « Etchings & Wall jewelry » Iki Gallery, 18 rue du Pont Louis-Philippe, Paris 4ème
- Exhibition, « Corps accords », Contemporary Etchings, Christian Collin Gallery, 11 rue Rameau 75002 Paris. Works curated by Nathalie Béreau
- Exhibition, « A l’ombre de la tour Eiffel le cabinet de curiosités de Michaël Cailloux », 6, Mandel, 6 avenue George Mandel Paris 16ème – Works curated by Nathalie Béreau
- Exhibition, « Gravure, n.f», nomadic gallery Nathalie Béreau, Chinon
- Exhibition, « Paris – Mexico », Espace Beaurepaire, Paris 10ème
- Exhibition, « Vert infini », Les ateliers de Paris, Paris 12ème
- Exhibition, Salon d’automne, Etchings, Paris 8ème
- Exhibition and sale, 107 Rivoli, Museum of Decorative Arts boutique, Paris 1er
- Exhibition, Utopia, Espace Beaurepaire, Paris 10
- Exhibition, « Au temps de vendanges », nomadic gallery Nathalie Béreau, Chinon
- Exhibition « Ok ! Color », Espace Beaurepaire, Paris 10